Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tagged - 6 Weird Things/Experiences

Freckle Face Girl tagged me on Tuesday, so I get to think of 6 more weird things about myself. Thanks FFG!

*I decided to change the title because Gluby pointed out that some of the weird things I posted are more experiences I had than personality quirks. :)

It takes an exceptionally long time for anesthesia to work on me, but when it does, it works! This weird thing goes along with the next one as well.

The anesthesiologist who gave me my epidural when my first son was born is the only person I still want to curse to this day. Arrogant son of...anyway. He gave me the initial shot in my spine to numb the spot where they would insert the catheter for the epidural. It takes a long time for anesthesia to work on me, as already stated, but he wouldn't stop and listen to me. So, when he shoved, yes shoved, the catheter in my back, it was as if he hadn't given me anything to numb my back at all. Then he yelled at me for moving, pushed me back into the hunched position, and continued to shove and manipulate the catheter into place. I almost fainted.

I had the baby and everything went well, except that I couldn't walk for a long time. I gave birth at 10:00 PM and still couldn't walk at 6:00 AM. The nurse finally had me lean on her so I could go to the bathroom. I almost fainted again and I had to have 2 nurses pull me back to my bed. Talk about fun.

I hate the phrase "that wasn't so bad, was it?"

When I was 8 I had 4 permanent teeth pulled. They had a lot of patients to see that day and couldn't wait for the anesthesia to work. They gave me shots, gas, and something else. Nothing worked because I could still feel them working on my teeth. So they gave me more shots. Finally they just had to start working. My mother was in the waiting room and could hear me screaming the whole time. After they were finally done torturing me, the dentist had the gall to pat me on the back and say, "That wasn't so bad, was it?" I glared at him and, with all the dignity I could muster, painstaking muttered "Yeth." It wasn't until the next morning that I could feel my mouth and tongue completely again.

At the age of 8 I almost had to have my leg amputated.

My family and I were making our own sand box and I ended up slicing two of my toes on a garden hoe. I got 8 or 10 stitches and didn't walk for a week. When we returned to the doctor's office he said that there was an infection that had made it's way up the top of my calf muscle and that if I didn't start walking on it they would have to amputate my leg. I'm not sure if that was just a scare tactic or if that was really the only option, but it worked. I have never felt pain like that before, but talk about walking on pins and needles.

I have a bad nervous habit.

I pull on my eyelashes and eyebrows. When I am stressed I pull them a lot. A few times I have pulled them enough that I have bare spots on my eyebrows.

I can't wear contacts or get lasik

I have dry eye syndrome. I found out about it on my mission, but I didn't know what it was called because I forgot what the Italian eye doctor told me. She just said not to wear my contacts until after I got home from my mission. I get home and find out that I basically have to wear glasses for the rest of my life.

I have/had hypothyroiditis.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis when I was 11 or 12. I was supposed to take synthetic thyroid pills for the rest of my life. When I was 18 my family and I started going to the Myotherapy College of Utah and I started taking some kind of organic thyroid pill and eventually (about 18 months later) was able to wean myself off of them. I still have to take them every once in awhile when my body is just way too taxed, but I haven't had to take them daily since then.

I didn't tag anyone else the last time I was tagged, but I am not going to be so nice this time. I'm going to tag Jer (maybe this will inspire him to post again soon!), Amber, Supernova, and Michelle. If you have already done this tag, or don't want everyone knowing just how weird you are, then write about the 6 most memorable moments from your life. Or you could just ignore me and I'll cry over here in the corner. Sniffle.


supernova said...

OMG! Anesthesia takes loooong to work on me too, but thankfully, the docs haven't subjected me to the kind of torture they have subjected you to! You poor thing! I can imagine how painful those experiences must have been!

As for the tag, I'll give some good thought to it and come up with my 6 points this weekend! :-)

T. Wanker said...

Reminds me of the pogo stick that shoved my two baby teeth up into my skull. The dentist tried to put me out with ether. I know it didn't happen this way, but I've always imagined it as a him dousing the ether on a rag and sticking it on my face. Anyway half-way through the extraction I awoke out of the anesthesia. So, I relate a little. Still hate dentists.

Lemon Blossom said...

Supernova - wow, you too? I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

I can't wait to read what you come up with!

T - Oh, ok, ouch. Wow. You made my head hurt with that one. Yikes. Both the pogo stick as well as waking up during the extraction. Ouch.

wry catcher said...

Hi LB - I want to know how you got off the thyroid, as I still take synthroid every day (and I can definitely tell when I miss it). I'm intrigued by how you've managed without it?

If I haven't already said, I love your blog.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing. Wish one Gluby would share some more over on his blog soon....

Lemon Blossom said...

Wry Catcher - what I was told was that I was able to wean myself off of it because I had only been taking it for a few years (4-6?) and that my body hadn't become overly dependent upon it. I went from synthyroid to armour thyroid (, to a thyroid supplement. I can't remember what brand or anything, but my sisters might remember.

I was under the care of a naturalist doctor, though, so I please talk to your doctor first. I would hate for you to be miserable because of me!

I am not sure if the doctor misdiagnosed me, or if my body was able to heal itself. I do know that this doctor was supposed to be really good as far as thyroid diseases go, and that he had worked with my mother (who also has hypothyroidism) for 10 years, so I think he knew what he was doing.

Thanks! By the way, I hope you don't mind, but I liny-linked you on my blog.

SML - Thanks. I'll let him know he's missed. I hope things are going well in your neck of the woods!

Michelle said...

Wow, you ARE weird! J/K I'm sorry that I just now saw this...been out of the loop a little bit. I will get to this as soon as I can think up some really crazy stuff! hee hee

Lemon Blossom said...

Michelle - No rush. I knew had company in town, so I wasn't expecting it yesterday. Just tomorrow! Yah, think up some crazy stuff. M-hmm!