Monday, January 8, 2007

You too can be happy, clean, and obedient!

Gluby and I had a friend over for dinner tonight and they made some wonderful Tom Yum soup. (I love not having to cook!) After we were done eating we moved to the living room and chatted for a couple of hours. I remember looking at the clock at 11:01 and thinking that I was feeling sleepy. The next thing I know my pillow, Gluby's lap, was moving. I complained that my pillow had moved and Gluby suggested that it would be more comfortable if I went to sleep on the bed. I decided to take Gluby's advice and headed off to bed while they went to the office to do stuff with the computer. By the time I got to the bedroom I was wide awake, and here I am at almost 4:00 AM, still awake. Ugh.

Anyway, I spent some of my time reading blogs and basically wasting time on my laptop in bed. Around 2 I decided to take a look at the newest Friend magazine. I read two different stories whose main characters were little boys named Matthew (shows originality of thought, you know?), how the Holy Ghost helps us to feel good when we help others (because we can't feel it by our carnal, natural selves), and what a "happy, clean, and obedient boy" Spencer W. Kimball was. It seems Kimball spent all of his free time learning the scriptures, singing hymns, and running off to Primary. But, he is just a normal little boy, as, you see, he also loved to squirt milk from the cow into the cat's mouths during the milking! What a little rascal!

I am not sorry that I have started hiding the Friend and Ensign magazines from our children. I haven't tossed the last few because I want to read them with open, non-emotional eyes and see what I think. Things are not looking up for the church.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lemon Blossom said...

"Air ball"? Who's Trevor? Not impressed.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

ha ha, I know how you feel. I did the exact same thing with those two magazines as well as The New Era.

Sheesh.

Sumwun said...

Hahaha. I think Spencer may have modified his story about what exactly happened with the cat for the article...hmmm. Yah it's hard to realize church messages are like subculture propoganda. Watching the BYU channel blare on endlessly at home with my parent's on the holidays made me feel like I was in Musolini's Italy (without the awesome lattes).

Sideon said...

Yeah, sure, every "normal" boy learns the scriptures, sings hymns and loves running off to Primary.

Hello? Some village was missing their idiot.

Lemon Blossom said...

SML - Ah, I had forgotten about the New Era. That had also been one of my favorites growing up. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would be hiding them from my kids I would not have believed you. My, how things have changed.

Sumwun - That was one thing I wasn't looking forward to if we did go home for Christmas. I knew we would watch church Christmas programs and have the BYU channel on a lot.

Sideon - It's so amazing, looking back, how much these things shaped my thinking. Though it was subtle, I do remember thinking that if I wasn't like that, always wanting to do those things, then I wasn't innately good. And, if there were other kids who showed their dislike of church or primary, then it was obvious that they were not church authority material and would remain lowly church plebeians. Ugh, I had no idea how judgmental I was.

Just one of many said...

What a picture perfect example of what we can be, if we supress our desires, emotions, and rational thoughts! Check the milk cartons, there must be at least 12 million villages missing the designated idiot!!

Lemon Blossom said...

JOOM - Where is the milk carton with my picture on it? I want to crush it. And I thought all I got out of this repressive carnival ride was emotional breakdowns and a need for anger management classes.